Yesterday, my husband took a vacation day, and we spent the day on the Potomac fishing. It was truly a gorgeous day – sunshine with a slight breeze. Despite the relaxing nature of our day, it’s quite amazing how sitting on a boat for hours can exhaust you. In fact, by the end of our time, I was in a great deal of pain from sitting on the wooden seat. My back ached and my legs were cramping. By the time we got home, I was in bad shape. I headed for the shower, hoping I would begin to feel human again.

Halfway through my shower, I realized my vision was blurry. I closed my left eyed, the blurriness slowly began to fade and my vision popped back into focus. I opened my left eye and my vision went blurry again. I closed my right eye and the same thing happened. I did this over and over, rubbing my eyes in between. My eyes started to sting from all the rubbing and by the time I got out of the shower, I had worked myself into a bit of a panic. I tried to talk myself down but the blurriness was still very much affecting my vision.

I stepped out into the living room. “Zoli, there’s something wrong with my vision, ” I said and explained the blurriness and my eyesight fading in and out. He told me to lie down and close my eyes for a bit, then he reached for his computer. I told him I’d be back in a moment. A light bulb had gone off…

Back in the bathroom, I checked my contact case. My left contact was in place. I unscrewed the top of the right well – no contact. I looked around the sink and on the floor, then I reached up to touch my eye. The right contact came out in my hand.

I sheepishly walked back into the living room. “So, yeah, I still had one contact in my eye. I can see again!” My husband shut his computer case and looked at me, shaking his head. You see, many months ago my husband instituted a five minute rule with regard to me. When I get myself into a panic, thinking the worst has happened, he waits before he responds or at least, that’s what he says he’ll do. However, most times, he reacts the way he did yesterday. He gives me a matter-of-fact answer, then reaches for his computer to research what could be wrong. In this case, he was researching strokes. I promise I’m not trying to be the girl who cried wolf. I just tend to get a little dramatic.